Monday, October 5, 2009

Can You Sing Me A Lullaby?


I tuck my kids into bed each and every night with high hopes of getting bed time over and done with so I can have a moment to myself and maybe, just maybe sleep in the same bed with my husband. But this evening was somewhat different from the rest. As we ended our nightly prayers I was not met with the usual resistance but with a simple, sweet question, “Can you sing me a lullaby?”

When your children toggle between babyhood and toddlerhood it is an exciting time full of wonderment and discovery. But what will happen when toddlerhood ends and childhood begins?

I more then anything want my children to grow up and become strong and independent, yet, down in the depths of my heart I want to turn back that clock! Take me back to the day I first held you so I can breathe you in and feel your soft skin against my cheek! Let me do it over because now I know not to take the “Mama I want you” and “Mama I need you” for granted. My heart aches knowing that one day I’ll look into the eyes of my children and long for the days when they want to snuggle... but tonight I just sang “Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep my sweet baby. Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep my sweet boy…”

No comments:

Post a Comment